Thursday, November 22, 2012

Easy cranberry sauce, just in time for Thanksgiving!

Fresh Cranberries
By Madeleine Dee

My grandmother is a modest cook - with every compliment she receives, she always replies, "Oh, it was so simple." 

I never understood why she would say this until I attended culinary school and realized that cooking is really quite easy with the right knowledge and a little practice. But, I'm a chef, so I have to act cool and pretend like everything I do is extremely difficult and impressive. 
"Oh, roasting a chicken? Rocket science. Have you noticed how awesome and skillful I am?" My ego would just wilt if I ever admitted that anything I do is... *shudder*... easy.

But I digress. :)

My grandmother is a fantastic cook. I love her dearly, she loves me, and so she let me in on her extremely complicated (*wink*) method for preparing cranberry sauce. So, I thought I might pass her recipe along to you. After all, today is Thanksgiving.


1. Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a boil in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and the juice and zest of 1 navel orange.

I like to add a teaspoon or two of lemon zest. It really brightens up the flavor!
         


                                                  
2. Bring to a boil.











3. Add in your cranberries. (They generally come in packages of 2-3 cups.)

Bring to a boil until they crack and burst. It's the greatest noise! :)

Once they've popped, lower the heat and let the cranberries simmer and thicken, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.





When it's done, your cranberry sauce should look like this:

Go ahead and tell everyone that you did, indeed, go to SO much trouble over these cranberries. I'm not here to judge you.

I'm totally gonna do it, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

About Me

My photo

Executive Chef and Owner of No Place Like Home in Louisville, KY. Writer, actress, chef, professional cook and professional eater.